SGWS Annual Auction Benefit will be Saturday, April 18, 2015. Here are some frequently asked questions about our auction.
Q: What is The Auction?
A: The Annual Benefit Auction at Spring Garden Waldorf School is the largest fundraiser that takes place each year. We come together to support our school and our dedicated faculty by auctioning off items that have been donated to the school by the greater community.
Q: Why does the school hold an auction for fundraising?
A: The Annual Auction, while a major undertaking for our staff and volunteers, is an effective way to raise a large amount of money and have a great community experience all in one night. The funds brought in by our auction provide much needed support to the teachers who are crucial to our success, and also allow us to increase the current scholarship fund which helps a wide range of families bring their children to the school. It also helps provide a variety of curriculum enhancements, such as our recent additions of a greenhouse, gardening program, and a science classroom.
Q: Where is it held?
A: This year’s auction will be at the majestic Greystone Hall in downtown Akron:
103 S. High St.
Akron, OH 44308
For more information on Greystone Hall, visit http://greystonehall.org/facilityov.htm
Q: When is it held?
A: Saturday April 18, 2015, doors open at 5:00 pm.
Q: Where do I buy tickets?
A: Buy tickets online beginning February 23, 2015: https://sgws.schoolauction.net/sgwsbenefit2015/register/ticket_sales
Q: What does it cost?
A: Tickets are $75 per person and include a tapas meal, open bar and live entertainment. Come hungry and be prepared to have fun! Early Bird Tickets will be available for $65 until March 18, 2015.
Q: Who should go to the auction?
A: ALL are welcome. It is our great wish for the community at large to come to this special event — not just our school’s parents but their relatives, friends, neighbors and business associates.
Q. What happens at the event?
A. The auction night consists of two main parts. First, patrons peruse tables of items in the silent auction as they eat tapas, drink cocktails and socialize with friends. Items are bid on “silently” by writing your offer on a bid sheet. The beginning bid is usually a certain percentage below the retail value. The bidding ends (after the live auction) and the highest bid wins!
After the silent auction, dessert will be put out as our auctioneer leads the live auction for items listed in the program. Even for those not bidding on the items in the live auction, the auctioneer and emcee provide entertaining banter, and the bidding wars are great fun to watch!
After the live auction, items you have purchased and bids you have won will be summarized on an invoice, payable by check or credit card.
There will also be a couple of fun raffle games, entertainment and a special alumni presentation take place throughout the evening. All in all, the evening will be full of great food and great fun.
Q: What kind of items can be donated?
A: Any new item or experience, of any value, can be donated to our silent or live auction. Examples include:
- Theme baskets for beverages or food items, crafts, toys, homeopathy, etc.
- Services like business consulting, babysitting, photography, art portraits, etc.
- Experiences like ski or piano lessons, trips, flight school, summer camps, water park tickets, etc.
- Gift Cards to local and national businesses.
- Special activities such as dinner for 6 with a local Chef, behind-the-scenes tour of interesting venues, etc.
- Weekend getaways, home improvement items, etc..
Q. Finances are tight. How can I contribute to the auction and stay on a budget?
A. There are lots of inexpensive ways you can help! Here are just a few ideas:
- First off we need volunteers, from now until the event! Please contact Sandy Conley at email@example.com for more information about how you can help.
- Ask a business owner you know if they’d be willing to donate a gift card, an item, or buy an ad.
- Ask a business that you patronize (or simply one that you like) if they’d be willing to donate a gift card, an item, or buy an ad.
- Donate your time as a silent auction item – offer leaf raking, house cleaning, babysitting, etc.. Or co-host a dinner or other child friendly event with a friend.
Q: I think I know someone (or a business) who might be a sponsor, buy an ad, or donate. What should I do?
A: Fill out the online form and they will receive an email receipt and instructions on how to proceed.
- To be a Sponsor (advertising package + tickets), send them this link: https://sgws.schoolauction.net/sgwsbenefit2015/register/ticket_sales
- For an Ad purchase, send them this link:
https://sgws.schoolauction.net/sgwsbenefit2015/give to buy an ad (9 options available).
- For a Donation, send them an email with a link to the online donation form: https://sgws.schoolauction.net/sgwsbenefit2015/donate_items/new
Q: What is the Golden Ticket?
A: Raffle tickets are sold for $40 each. The winner of the Golden Ticket raffle gets to choose either $1000 cash or their choice of any item from the live or silent auction.
Q: What is the Tuition Raffle?
A: Raffle tickets are sold for $25 each. The winner of the Tuition raffle gets $500 off next year’s tuition.
Q. I don’t have much money to spend at an auction. Why would I go?
A. For the camaraderie! Many people simply come to socialize and have a good time with the Spring Garden community. Of course, we hope everyone will bid on the items, but it is definitely not a requirement. We’d also LOVE to have you volunteer at the event; this is a great way to get involved, enjoy the event and not be concerned about spending too much money. Naturally the hours “worked” would count toward the time required per your contract. For more information email Sandy Conley at firstname.lastname@example.org.